What is Research and How Does it Relate to Cooking?

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
My second attempt.

Somebody asked, "What is Research"?
Would someone here with physical science Phd tell the meaning of "Research"? My own way to give a meaning is to compare with cooking food; but that it is just far more precise.

I used copy&paste to put in the title.

Physics news on Phys.org
symbolipoint said:
Somebody asked, "What is Research"?
Research is only a word, its meaning is context dependent.
Who asked, where?

Likes russ_watters
I predict this will come down to "I know it when I see it".

If I took the latest issue of PRL and attempted to replicate all the results, people would call this "research". If I took an issue from 50 years ago and did the same thing, people wouldn't.

So there is a line, and I am sure different people draw it in different places.

Likes BillTre
That's why it is much better to be a social scientist. You can attempt to replicate any result from yesterday to 100 years ago, get the opposite result, and get it published. Et voila, research!

• Haha
Likes russ_watters and topsquark
The reason for the question and suggestion some members try to give an answer is because, some students, maybe many students, who are interested in a science would have some courses, do some laboratory exercises, but never yet participated in research; so telling them what is research and what Research means could be helpful. I myself was that way.

Haborix said:
it is much better to be a social scientist.
If you have to call it "science" it probably isn't.
  • Information science
  • Political science.
  • Library science.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, berkeman and fresh_42
Vanadium 50 said:
If you have to call it "science" it probably isn't.
  • Information science
  • Political science.
  • Library science.
That is a very good point. Those could be called "strategies".

But better, Information management is a strategy or set of strategies; Library or Collections management is a strategy or a set of strategies; but Political Science really is a social science.

Computer Science seemed to be called "Data Processing", some decades ago.

Likes russ_watters
My own fault starting a drift. Back to What is Research.

1. What is research in the context of cooking?

Research in cooking involves the systematic investigation into and study of materials, ingredients, techniques, and recipes to establish facts and reach new conclusions. This can include experimenting with different cooking methods, exploring how various ingredients interact, and testing recipes to improve flavor, nutritional value, or efficiency in preparation.

2. How can conducting research improve cooking skills?

Conducting research can significantly enhance cooking skills by providing a deeper understanding of the science behind cooking processes, such as chemical reactions between ingredients, the effects of cooking temperatures, and the impact of cooking times. This knowledge allows for more controlled, creative, and effective cooking practices, leading to better and more consistent culinary results.

3. What are some common research methods used in cooking?

Common research methods in cooking include experimentation (testing different combinations of ingredients or techniques), observation (noting how changes affect the outcome), and documentation (keeping detailed records of recipes, ingredient proportions, and cooking conditions). Surveys or taste tests can also be used to gather feedback on different cooking styles or flavors.

4. How does research contribute to recipe development?

Research is crucial in recipe development as it helps in understanding ingredient interactions, nutritional content, and the culinary techniques best suited to achieve desired flavors and textures. By experimenting with and refining various elements, chefs and food scientists can create recipes that are not only innovative but also tailored to meet dietary needs and preferences.

5. Can research in cooking be linked to health?

Yes, research in cooking can directly relate to health by exploring how different cooking methods affect the nutritional value of food. For example, studies have shown that certain cooking techniques, like steaming or grilling, can preserve antioxidants and vitamins better than others. Additionally, researching ingredient substitutions can lead to healthier versions of traditional recipes without compromising taste.