What is some basic college lvl math to start on?

• Thread starter thewhills
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

What is some "basic" college lvl math to start on?

I am a junior in high school and I...kinda taught myself enough calculus that I got a 5 on the AP Calc exam.Oddly enough I still get a B in Geometry because I had a 30 HW average and would skip part of tests...LOL

So what is the next step especially if I choose to be a Physics major?...maybe CompSci.

I oddly really enjoy proof because it is basically a game against yourself...In fact I was recruited to my schools math team just to do proof..
I dislike visual geometry, Like we had a project to draw a tent...I could barely do it because I can't think visually.....It sucks too.

What is the next step?
Which books too...hopefully not a $200 textbook either since I(not my family) am poor and my parents would laugh at me if I asked them to buy me a math book if I don't need it

Answers and Replies

"Calculus" by Tom Apostol.

I think it's a couple hundred new, but you can get it much, much cheaper on alibris or abebooks.

One-Variable Calculus with an Introduction to Linear Algebra..right?

Does that include theory?

Yes. Every theorem is proved and many of the exercises begin with the words "prove that..." or "show that..."

I found it for $30 shipped on abebooks..great deal?

Never mind...That is if I order 20+ I think

I have no idea if it's a great deal. If you have $30 and you are willing to spend it on an excellent calculus book, then it's a great deal. If not, it isn't.