What is stochastic heating of very small grains?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
sonutabitha
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I recently came across a paper where there was a term ''stochastic heating of very small grains". I went through some papers on this area but I am still confused about it. What is the vibrational temperature associated with very small grains? Does temperature has got a meaning if it's a highly fluctuating quantity?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'd imagine the time-average of a fluctuating temperature might be meaningful if you were considering processes that were slow compared to the fluctuations. Conversely if the fluctuations left individual particles in (time-dependent) thermal equilibrium I'd expect one could analyse the resulting situation.

A bit more context would help. Grains of what, where? Being heated by what? Your comment about vibrational temperature suggests the grains are close to molecular dimensions. Is that the case?
 
I am talking about the very small grains in the interstellar medium.