Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the about equivalence of ?

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    Ok, well I'm sorry if this is the wrong section but it has to do with energy and nuclear physics. I have to present why we should use nuclear energy, though no one in the class knows a lot about it. I am going to be using the example of getting nuclear energy from U-235/92. I have the formula and the end result is around 177MeV, though I don't know how I could explain this to them. Do you know an approximate equivalence to what would be around 177MeV in everyday life?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  4. Mar 10, 2009 #3
    Just the site I was looking for, THANKS

5. Mar 11, 2009 #4
    For comparison, dynamite contains about 4000 joules per gram, or roughly 0.5 eV (electron volts) per atom. The uranium contains about 177 million eV per atom, or about 350 million times as much energy per atom as dynamite. For comparison, 1 molecule of glucose (Gram molecular weight = 180) contains about 30 eV of energy (released during metabolism).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook