What is the acceleration of a car on a semicircular track?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tjohn101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
tjohn101
Messages
92
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A car at the Indianapolis-500 accelerates uniformly from the pit area, going from rest to 285 km/h in a semicircular arc with a radius of 194 m.

Determine the tangential acceleration of the car when it is halfway through the turn, assuming constant tangential acceleration.
m/s2

Determine the radial acceleration of the car at this time.
m/s2

If the curve were flat, what would the coefficient of static friction have to be between the tires and the roadbed to provide this acceleration with no slipping or skidding?

Homework Equations



Unknown

The Attempt at a Solution



Have not attempted yet because I don't know how to start.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Without knowing relevant equations you cannot solve the problems.
If you are studying physics, you must have a textbook. If you don't have, search in Hyper Physics site. And go through the circular motion. Show your attempts.We will help you if you have made any mistakes.
 
rl.bhat said:
Without knowing relevant equations you cannot solve the problems.
If you are studying physics, you must have a textbook. If you don't have, search in Hyper Physics site. And go through the circular motion. Show your attempts.We will help you if you have made any mistakes.

The book gives me these, but I don't have enough information to use them nor do I know how to get that information.

Atan= [delta]V/[delta]t

and

Ar=v^2/r

I've tried them to death, but with no good answer. I don't know how to get time, so I don't know how to get acceleration.
 
If there is no tangential acceleration, v^2/r must be equal to g.
Find v1.
Actual velocity v2 is 285 km/h. Convert it into m/s.
v = v2 - v1 is the velocity gained by the tangential acceleration.
Using the formula v = rω,find the angular velocity ω.
Using the initial angular velocity zero, and final angular velocity ω and angular displacement π/2, find the angular acceleration α.
Using the relation a = r*αnd the tangential acceleration a.
 
rl.bhat said:
If there is no tangential acceleration, v^2/r must be equal to g.
Find v1.
Actual velocity v2 is 285 km/h. Convert it into m/s.
v = v2 - v1 is the velocity gained by the tangential acceleration.
Using the formula v = rω,find the angular velocity ω.
Using the initial angular velocity zero, and final angular velocity ω and angular displacement π/2, find the angular acceleration α.
Using the relation a = r*αnd the tangential acceleration a.

Okay. Could you help me find the answer? I've been cracking at this one for three days. Homework is due tonight, so if you could help me as much as possible that would be great. I'm working on another problem right now
 
I have given some hints. Workout them first. If you stuck up I will help you.