What is the algebraic proof for the remainder of 11 when dividing by 12?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Physiona
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Physiona
Messages
131
Reaction score
9
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
I'm currently doing a grade 9 paper, and one of the following questions is tripping me up a little bit:

Prove algebraically that the sum of the squares of any three consecutive odd numbers always leaves a remainder of 11, when divided by 12.

My attempt of the question:

I have labelled 3 consecutive odd numbers as:
2n+1, 2n+3, and 2n+5.
I've squared them:
(2n+1)2: 4n2+4n+1
(2n+3)2: 4n2+12n+9
(2n+5)2: 4n2+20n+25

I've attempted to then add all the squared numbers which led me to the expression of: 12n2+36n+35. From here, I have attempted to divide by 12, which leads me to n2+3n+35/12. I'm not sure how to get the remainder of 11, do I take factors out, or is my working solution wrong? Any guidance? Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are almost there:

Notice ##12n^2 + 36n + 35 = 12n^2 + 36n + 24 + 11 = 12(n^2 + 3n + 2) +11##

And this proves the claim.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Physiona
You seem to have done all the hard work and then failed to spot the answer when it's staring you in the face!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Physiona
Math_QED said:
You are almost there:

Notice ##12n^2 + 36n + 35 = 12n^2 + 36n + 24 + 11 = 12(n^2 + 36n + 2) +11##

And this proves the claim.
Aha, that makes sense! Thank you for the quick reply!
 
PeroK said:
You seem to have done all the hard work and then failed to spot the answer when it's staring you in the face!
Yep, I know! I intend to do that, and it often causes me frustration! I've worked it out now, thank you!