What is the average number of planets per star?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Abdul.119
Messages
73
Reaction score
2
What is the occurrence rate of planets? I'm not talking about earth-like planets, but any planet in general. I can't find a source that examines this number, all I can find is the average number of earth-like planets. Can anyone lead me to a useful paper/source? Thanks in advance
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Our present technologies for detecting exoplanets are not yet advanced enough for a reliable estimate of an average number.
Many smaller planets could exist that we don't yet know about, but more capable technologies are probably not far away in the future.
What has been established so far is that stars having at least one planet is commonplace, and stars with several planets are not unusual.
In particular the ocurrence of very large planets close to the parent star ('hot Jupiters') has been higher than expected.
 
Abdul.119 said:
What is the occurrence rate of planets? I'm not talking about earth-like planets, but any planet in general. I can't find a source that examines this number, all I can find is the average number of earth-like planets. Can anyone lead me to a useful paper/source? Thanks in advance
According to a study done in 2012 and published in Nature, there may be as many as one planet, or more, per star in the Milky Way galaxy.
We find that
nature10684-m1.jpg
of stars host Jupiter-mass planets (0.3–10 MJ, where MJ = 318 M
glyph.gif
and M
glyph.gif
is Earth’s mass). Cool Neptunes (10–30 M
glyph.gif
) and super-Earths (5–10 M
glyph.gif
) are even more common: their respective abundances per star are
nature10684-m2.jpg
and
nature10684-m3.jpg
. We conclude that stars are orbited by planets as a rule, rather than the exception.

Source:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v481/n7380/full/nature10684.html - Nature 481, 167-169, January 12, 2012 (arXiv free reprint)

 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Abdul.119