What is the average number of planets per star?

In summary, current technology is not advanced enough to accurately estimate the occurrence rate of planets. However, a study published in Nature suggests that there may be at least one planet per star in the Milky Way galaxy, with a high number of Jupiter-mass planets and even more common cool Neptunes and super-Earths. This indicates that planets orbiting stars is a common occurrence.
Abdul.119
What is the occurrence rate of planets? I'm not talking about earth-like planets, but any planet in general. I can't find a source that examines this number, all I can find is the average number of earth-like planets. Can anyone lead me to a useful paper/source? Thanks in advance

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Our present technologies for detecting exoplanets are not yet advanced enough for a reliable estimate of an average number.
Many smaller planets could exist that we don't yet know about, but more capable technologies are probably not far away in the future.
What has been established so far is that stars having at least one planet is commonplace, and stars with several planets are not unusual.
In particular the ocurrence of very large planets close to the parent star ('hot Jupiters') has been higher than expected.

Do we even have a definition for planet that extends to other stars?

Abdul.119 said:
What is the occurrence rate of planets? I'm not talking about earth-like planets, but any planet in general. I can't find a source that examines this number, all I can find is the average number of earth-like planets. Can anyone lead me to a useful paper/source? Thanks in advance
According to a study done in 2012 and published in Nature, there may be as many as one planet, or more, per star in the Milky Way galaxy.
We find that
nature10684-m1.jpg
of stars host Jupiter-mass planets (0.3–10 MJ, where MJ = 318 M
glyph.gif
and M
glyph.gif
is Earth’s mass). Cool Neptunes (10–30 M
glyph.gif
) and super-Earths (5–10 M
glyph.gif
) are even more common: their respective abundances per star are
nature10684-m2.jpg
and
nature10684-m3.jpg
. We conclude that stars are orbited by planets as a rule, rather than the exception.

Source:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v481/n7380/full/nature10684.html - Nature 481, 167-169, January 12, 2012 (arXiv free reprint)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Abdul.119

1. What is the definition of the average number of planets per star?

The average number of planets per star is the average number of planets that have been discovered orbiting a single star. This includes all types of planets, such as gas giants, terrestrial planets, and dwarf planets.

2. How is the average number of planets per star calculated?

The average number of planets per star is calculated by dividing the total number of confirmed exoplanets by the total number of stars that have been observed. This calculation takes into account all known exoplanets and their host stars.

3. What is the range of the average number of planets per star?

The range of the average number of planets per star varies greatly depending on the type of star being observed and the methods used to detect exoplanets. On average, most stars have at least one planet, but some stars have been found to have up to seven planets.

4. How does the average number of planets per star compare to our own solar system?

The average number of planets per star is much higher than the number of planets in our own solar system. Our solar system has eight planets, while the average number of planets per star is estimated to be around 1.6. This suggests that our solar system is not a typical representation of planetary systems in the universe.

5. How does the average number of planets per star impact the search for extraterrestrial life?

The higher the average number of planets per star, the higher the potential for finding habitable worlds and potentially life outside of our own solar system. The search for exoplanets and the study of their characteristics can provide insight into the potential for life on other planets and the conditions necessary for its existence.