What is the best Science magazine to subscribe to?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Line
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
Line
Messages
216
Reaction score
0
Hey all, what's a good Science magazine to subscribe to?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How about the obvious, Science Magazine? :biggrin: (From the publishers of Science, the journal).

Physics Today (published by the APS) is the only one I read regularly. It's a great, general-physics exposition of interesting research, a lot of which is very relevant to real life ("Thermodynamics of Hurricanes", "Stability of Bicycles"). Then, there is a lot of general-audience science news in the first 20-30 pages of both Science and Nature, which are presitigious journals of a very broad scope.

After those, there are two decent popular magazines, Discover, and Scientific American. SciAm is somewhat inconsistent in quality, especially when they venture into theoretical physics; there they aim to impress and entertain, rather than inform.

Popular Science is mainly technology-oriented, so I won't mention it.

Finally you get sensationalist drivel like New Scientist, which is a "non peer-revied journal" (:rolleyes:) and a regular forum for crackpottery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I like New Scientist - it's very amusing, which is important if you're an ADHD sufferer like I think I am. I wouldn't call anyone there a crackpot, they're just normal (eccentric) Brits.