What is the best way to emphasize the proportion of x or y in a dataset?

• I
  • Thread starter adan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two variables, x and y, and the proportion or ratio of each to the sum of the two variables. The main goal is to emphasize the amount of x or y, with a higher proportion corresponding to a higher amount. The formula x/(x+y) is used to calculate the proportion of x, while y/(x+y) is used for the proportion of y. It is noted that if both x and y increase, the proportion of x may not necessarily increase. The speaker also mentions wanting to generate two values, P and N, between 0 and 1, where P increases as x increases and N increases as y increases. The suggested formulas for this are P=x/(1+x) and N
adan
Hi,
There are two variables x and y. I compute a proportion of the x as x/(x+y), and the proportion of y as y/(x+y). I want to emphasize more on the amount of x or y. If x is high then the proportion should be high.
Using the above formulas if x=4229, y= 80, then x proportion = 0.981, when x=4617 and y=91, then x proportion approximately equal 0.981.

I hope I made it clear and I would appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
adan said:
Hi,
There are two variables x and y. I compute a proportion of the x as x/(x+y), and the proportion of y as y/(x+y). I want to emphasize more on the amount of x or y. If x is high then the proportion should be high.
Using the above formulas if x=4229, y= 80, then x proportion = 0.981, when x=4617 and y=91, then x proportion approximately equal 0.981.

I hope I made it clear and I would appreciate any suggestion.
Do you have a question?

The proportions are, more clearly, the proportion or ratio of x to the sum of x and y and the ratio of y to the sum of x and y. Whichever variable is larger will make for a higher proportion of that variable to the sum of the two variables.

Likes adan
adan said:
If x is high then the proportion should be high.
At the same y, it is. If both x and y increase then the proportion of x doesn't have to increase. That's the point of taking the ratio. If you just want to compare absolute numbers, use the absolute numbers.

Likes adan
Thanks all. I think I would like to do something that can't be done using the ratio. The idea is to generate two values (P,N) between 0 and 1. If x is high P increases, and if y is high N increases. Where x and y >= 0.
I will try P=x/(1+x) and N = y/(1+y)

Likes Delta2

What is meant by "emphasizing the proportion"?

Emphasizing the proportion refers to the act of highlighting the relationship between different parts of a whole. This can be done through visual aids, such as charts or graphs, or through verbal or written explanations.

Why is it important to emphasize proportion in scientific research?

Emphasizing proportion is important in scientific research because it allows for a better understanding of the data and results. By highlighting the relationship between different variables, researchers can draw more accurate conclusions and make more informed decisions.

What are some techniques for emphasizing proportion in scientific studies?

Some techniques for emphasizing proportion in scientific studies include using visual aids, such as bar graphs or pie charts, using percentages or ratios in data analysis, and providing clear and concise explanations of the relationships between variables.

How does emphasizing proportion contribute to the overall understanding of a scientific topic?

Emphasizing proportion helps to provide a more comprehensive understanding of a scientific topic by highlighting the important relationships between different variables. This can lead to a deeper understanding of the topic and can help to identify patterns or trends within the data.

Are there any potential limitations or drawbacks to emphasizing proportion in scientific research?

One potential limitation of emphasizing proportion in scientific research is that it may oversimplify complex relationships between variables. Additionally, different methods of emphasizing proportion may yield different results, so it is important to carefully consider the most appropriate approach for a given study.