What is the blue Zinc ion in my patient's stomach?

  • Thread starter Thread starter soopo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
soopo
Messages
222
Reaction score
0
I was giving today zinc -tablet to a patient directly to her stomach because she cannot move. The tube which I first used was not clean so it contained some medicine of the last use.

The tube turned light blue like copper ion -blue after I inserted the zinc water to the tube.

I have not managed to figure out what is the ion that causes the color. I will look at her medicine list tomorrow and get some extra pieces of information.

Is there any Zinc -ion which color is blue?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Other possible medicines which were probably in contact with Zinc ions:

- 1 tablett MADOPARK QUICK MITE: Levodop. 50 mg, benserazid. hydrochlorid. 14,25 mg respond. benserazid. 12,5 mg, constit. q. s.
- Brufen (ibuprofen)
- Selegilin

I managed to duplicate a similar experiment without Zinc -ions.
However, the color of the liquid was dark blue, little pink.
So it is apparent that no zinc -ions in the solution, since I put no zinc tablet.
The color of light blue was not near the color of the solution which I today got.
So it is not apparent that the color of the two compounds is caused by the same ion.