What Is the Bohr-van Leuven Theorem and Its Significance in Quantum Mechanics?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Heirot
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bohr Theorem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Heirot
Messages
145
Reaction score
0
Bohr - van Leuven Theorem ??

Has anybody heard of this theorem? I remember vaugely that it has to do something with the work being done on magnetic dipoles / spins. I can't find it anywhere on the internet. I'm really curious...

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Heirot said:
Has anybody heard of this theorem? I remember vaugely that it has to do something with the work being done on magnetic dipoles / spins. I can't find it anywhere on the internet. I'm really curious...

Thanks!

This theorem states that a system of N charges (not dipoles) in a magnetic field has zero magnetic susceptivity. I have studied this subject for my Statistical mechanics exam, I had to show the validity of this theorem. It can be done by showing that the partition function of this system is independent on the magnetic field.