What is the charge range for two N vacancies in a defect crystal?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jackwangsg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charged State
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 1K views
jackwangsg
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
one vacancy have different charged state, for example one N vacancy range [0,+3], what the charge range for two N vacancies?
Hi, all
I am studying the defect formation energy calculations for defect crystal. One vacancy have different charged state, for example one N vacancy range [0,+3], what the charge range for two N vacancies? From chemistry, two N vacancies should be have max charge: +6. However, most reference still use the charge range [0,+3]. how to explain this ? Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not accustomed to your [0,+3]. Referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen-vacancy_center, I understand that at the vacancy 3 electrons come from neighboring C atoms, an electron pair come from N atom and frequently one electron come from outside to become ##NV^-## so total six electrons are involved. May I understand that your [0,+3] notation correspond to it ?