What is the Collatz Conjecture and How Can High Schoolers Have Fun With It?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Adam Kohnle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mathematical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Adam Kohnle
Messages
21
Reaction score
5
Hello everyone and I hope you had a happy Easter if you celebrate it and even if you don't, I hope you had happy day at least! I was wondering if anyone knew of any interesting or "fun" mathematical conjecture, equations or whatever that an inexperienced high schooler (me or anyone else curious) could understand and have fun with it. My twin told me of one where you multiply odd number by 3 but divide even ones by 2 and it will always eventually get 1. I could have remembered that wrong but either way it is interesting and fun to mess with by using numbers like 294329058492458430950869839065893685930. Thankfully for a number like that their are online resources that can do the math for you because that would take a while.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Dadface
Mathematics news on Phys.org