The four velocity vector has 4 components for any given inertial frame of reference. Three of these components are in the 3 spatial directions of that frame, and the 4th is in the (inaccessible) time direction. In their rest frames of reference, all objects have a four velocity vector pointing exclusively in the time direction of that rest frame. The spatial components in an object's rest frame of reference are all zero. The magnitude of time component in the rest frame is c.
The four force is equal to the rest mass times the four acceleration, where the four acceleration is equal to the derivative of the 4 velocity with respect to proper time. Because the four velocity has constant magnitude, the four acceleration (and four force) are always perpendicular to the four velocity. Therefore, in a body's rest frame of reference, the four force has no component in the time direction, and only the 3 spatial components are non-zero. However, in any other inertial frame of reference, all four components are non-zero.
I've been writing up some notes on spectial relativity, and the second chapter of my notes is devoted to providing a better mechanistic understanding of the fundamental geometric structure of 4D space-time, and how frames of reference are traveling through 4D space-time. I've been very unhappy with how special relativity is taught in the various texts that I've worked with, and feel that it is much easier to understand than the way it is presented. If you are interested in seeing what i have written so far, please send me your email address at
chestermiller@mindspring.com, and I will email you a copy. This is a work in progress, but I'm sure you will find the second chapter very illuminating.