What is the cryptic clue for the Higgs boson effect in a crossword?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter PeroK
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
29,891
Reaction score
21,766
For those interested in physics and cryptic crosswords, here's one for you (from the London Times book of crosswords):

Made a lot of the effect of the Higgs boson (4-8)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
two words, four and eight letters
 
Mark44 said:
mass produced ...
I went for "mass-producer".

For those unfamiliar with the format, it's a compound clue, where two definitions of the same phrase are compounded.

"Made a lot of" refers to a "mass-producer" and the Higgs boson is a "mass-producer", in a sense.

The clue is not perfect as it's not totally clear whether "produced" or "producer" is intended.

Simply "Makes a lot of the Higgs boson" might have been better, for "mass-producer".
 
I only found "a lot" in the description a bit disturbing, that's why I thought "God made" might be a solution. But I think you and Mark are right.
 
fresh_42 said:
I only found "a lot" in the description a bit disturbing, that's why I thought "God made" might be a solution. But I think you and Mark are right.
One of the tricks to doing these crosswords is to learn not to think too literally. This is especially true for the harder ones, like the Times.

Here's one of mine, if you want to try:

A major and me provide central theme (7)

The first letter is "k", if that helps. Try to think laterally.
 
fresh_42 said:
I had a nice solution, until 7 and k showed up. c would have worked. :frown:

Hint: think of all the different things that "A major" could be.
 
Yes, that's where I got my Cantate or the Eroica from, I apparently don't know enough English words with a k.
 
fresh_42 said:
Yes, that's where I got my Cantate or the Eroica from, I apparently don't know enough English words with a k.
"A major" is a "key" in music and "me" is a "note" in music, which gives "keynote", which is a central theme, although not musically!
 
I went a step too far and thought where E-flat major applies to instead of concentrating what E-flat major means, because it is less a keynote (local) as it is an overall condition (global). If all, I would have stuck with chord.
 
PeroK said:
One of the tricks to doing these crosswords is to learn not to think too literally.
Yes. I don't work the London Times puzzle, but I have been working the NY Times puzzle faithfully since about 1980. A key to being able to solve them is be open to alternate meanings and how else the phrase can be interpreted. The clue "A major" is a case in point.

PeroK said:
This is especially true for the harder ones, like the Times.
I don't know how the London Times works, but the NY Times puzzle is graduated in difficulty -- the easiest is on Monday, and they gradually get more difficult, with the hardest being on Fridays and Saturdays. The Sunday puzzle is a lot larger, but usually not that difficult. The harder puzzles sometimes include multiple letters per square, symbols, words spelled backwards or upside-down, and other trickeries.