1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the domain of f(x)=x^(2/3)?

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1
    What is the domain of f(x)=x^(2/3)?

If I take a negative number and square it, the result is positive. For example, (-4)^2 is 16. The cube root is 16 is also a positive number. So I conclude that the domain of this function is "all real numbers". But in Wolfram the answer is "all non-negative real numbers". Where is my thinking going awry?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2
    Re: Domain

I don't think that [itex]a^{b/c} = \sqrt[c]{a^b}[/itex] can be used when a is negative.

4. Sep 7, 2012 #3

acabus: I am still having difficulty understanding. If "b" is an even power doesn't the negative "a" under the square root sign become positive?

5. Sep 7, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You are correct - the domain of your function is all real numbers. The reason, I believe, that WolframAlpha gives a different domain is that it is converting x2/3 to a different form, using e as the base rather than x.

y = x2/3
    => ln(y) = (2/3) ln(x)

=> eln(y) = e(2/3)ln(x)
    => y = e(2/3)ln(x)

Now, x must be greater than 0. This is almost the same as what WA shows, except for zero.

6. Sep 7, 2012 #5

Mark 44 Thank you so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook