What Is the Energy Gap in Superconductors and How Is It Measured?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
NEWO
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
I need some clarification on what is meant by the energy gap of a superconductor.

From my own understanding, is is caused by the manifestation of cooper pair, and hence can not obey fermi-dirac statistics, but abides with bose-einstein statistics.

However, I feel that this reasoning is not what is required, any other explanations I would appreciate thanks in advance.

Also can this be measured using neutron scattering and quantum tunnelling?

Newo
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NEWO said:
I need some clarification on what is meant by the energy gap of a superconductor.

From my own understanding, is is caused by the manifestation of cooper pair, and hence can not obey fermi-dirac statistics, but abides with bose-einstein statistics.

However, I feel that this reasoning is not what is required, any other explanations I would appreciate thanks in advance.

Also can this be measured using neutron scattering and quantum tunnelling?

Newo

The superconducting energy gap is the energy in the single-particle spectrum that is needed to break up a cooper pair. That is the simplest explanation of what it is. In conventional superconductors, this energy gap tells you how strong the "glue" is in causing the paring of the electrons (or holes) to form such pairs.

This energy gap can be measured via many experiments, including tunneling, optical conductivity, photoemission, neutron scattering, etc.

Zz.