1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the equivalence point on this graph?

1. Mar 26, 2015 #1
    I am attempting to do a lab that requires the determination of an unknown diprotic acid using a titration curve. I have graphed my data but I am unsure what point to use as my eq. point. In my lab manual it says I may use the second or first eq. point but the second is often clearer. I am not given a specific equation to determine the point.

In your opinion, which point should i use to continue my calculations? There was a very large jump between 20 and 22ml NaOH leading to the pH jumping from 6.7 to 10.47.

Should I use 10.47 as my eq point? eqp.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2015 #2
    I am also thinking that maybe if I add up pH 6.7 and pH 10.47 and divide by 2, I get a value of 8.5 that when graphed seems to line up to what I believe is the equivalence point?

4. Mar 26, 2015 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Best approach would be to to read the end point from both and to find the average (that is, not a direct average, but the 2nd should be exactly twice the 1st).

Second alone should be a little bit better, as the jump is higher.

Another approach would be to use Gran's method for the end point determination.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted