What is the Focal Length of a Convex Lens for Sharp Image Formation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
wakejosh
Messages
101
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An object and a screen are separated by 20 cm. A convex lens is placed between them, 5 cm from the object. In this position it causes a sharp image of the object to form on the screen. What is the focal length of the lens?

The Attempt at a Solution


wouldn't it just be 5 cm since it is producing a sharp image on the screen? the distance from the object to the lense?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
looking at this more I think i need an equation. I don't have a book so can someone show me the equation I am looking for?
 
You need the thin lens equation:

[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{p} + \frac{1}{q}[/tex]

where f is the focal length, p is the object distance, and q is the image distance.