binbagsss
- 1,291
- 12
I was asked this in a PhD interview and hit a blank, it seemed to open...
binbagsss said:I was asked this in a PhD interview and hit a blank, it seemed to open ...
What is the importance of EM measurements in astrophysics ? ...
phyzguy said:Um... virtually everything we know about astrophysics has come from measuring electromagnetic waves. Gravitational waves and neutrinos are the only exceptions I can think of and the number of those observations is miniscule compared to the number of EM wave observations.
Should have been an easy answer for a high-school student. ;-)davenn said:agreed with phyzguy, we use various forms of EM for almost all studies of the universe...
from low frequency radio waves to EHF radio ( microwaves) to infra red, visible light, ultraviolet, to x-rays and gamma rays
They are all EM in nature (all types of EM)
should have been an easy answer for a PhD studentDave