Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the largest size and weight an animal can be?

1. Aug 21, 2017 #1
    Due to the square cube law there is a limit to how large an animal can be. I believe sea animals are capable of being much larger than land animals because the water supports their weight but what is the theoretical limit to how large a land animal can be and a sea animal? Excluding food consumption etc just purely mathematical limits.

From looking at wikipedia it seems the largest land animal ever was the titanosaur Argentinosaurus huinculensis which stood at between 30 and 50 metres and weighed between 80 and 100 tonnes. Is this pretty much the limit for a land animal?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 21, 2017 #3
    That article doesn't answer my question and neither did any of my other searches which I why I posted on here. I'm looking for an answer that works out what the upper limit might be for a land based animal and a sea based animal.

5. Aug 21, 2017 #4

Evo

Maybe that's because there is no answer.

6. Aug 21, 2017 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Are you limiting your request to animals?

There are things alive on the Earth larger than Blue Whales.

I doubt there is any meaningful hard upper limit to their size, I mean, aside from the area of the Earth's landmasses.

7. Aug 21, 2017 #6

jim mcnamara

8. Aug 25, 2017 #7
    Perforce, we're limited to land quadrupeds. Had evolution turned a different way, more legs could allow more body mass...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted