What is the largest size and weight an animal can be?

In summary, there is no upper limit to the size of a land animal, as long as it does not consume food that is not necessary for its survival.
iDimension
Due to the square cube law there is a limit to how large an animal can be. I believe sea animals are capable of being much larger than land animals because the water supports their weight but what is the theoretical limit to how large a land animal can be and a sea animal? Excluding food consumption etc just purely mathematical limits.

From looking at wikipedia it seems the largest land animal ever was the titanosaur Argentinosaurus huinculensis which stood at between 30 and 50 metres and weighed between 80 and 100 tonnes. Is this pretty much the limit for a land animal?

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
That article doesn't answer my question and neither did any of my other searches which I why I posted on here. I'm looking for an answer that works out what the upper limit might be for a land based animal and a sea based animal.

iDimension said:
That article doesn't answer my question and neither did any of my other searches which I why I posted on here. I'm looking for an answer that works out what the upper limit might be for a land based animal and a sea based animal.
Maybe that's because there is no answer.

Are you limiting your request to animals?

There are things alive on the Earth larger than Blue Whales.

I doubt there is any meaningful hard upper limit to their size, I mean, aside from the area of the Earth's landmasses.

Likes jedishrfu
Perforce, we're limited to land quadrupeds. Had evolution turned a different way, more legs could allow more body mass...

1. What is the largest animal in the world?

The largest animal in the world is the blue whale, which can reach lengths of up to 100 feet and weigh up to 200 tons.

2. Can animals continue to grow in size throughout their lifetimes?

Yes, some animals such as reptiles and fish have the ability to continue growing throughout their lifetimes. However, most mammals and birds have a set size that they reach and do not continue growing.

3. What factors determine the maximum size and weight an animal can reach?

The maximum size and weight an animal can reach is determined by a combination of genetic factors, the availability of resources and food, and environmental conditions such as temperature and oxygen levels.

4. Is there a limit to how large an animal can be?

Scientists believe that there is a theoretical limit to how large an animal can be, known as the "island rule". This rule suggests that smaller animals tend to evolve to be larger on islands, while larger animals tend to evolve to be smaller. However, there are always exceptions to this rule and there is no definitive answer to the maximum size an animal can reach.

5. How does the size of an animal affect its lifespan?

Generally, larger animals have longer lifespans than smaller animals. This is due to the fact that larger animals have slower metabolic rates and may also have better defenses against predators. However, there are exceptions to this rule and the lifespan of an animal is also influenced by other factors such as environmental conditions and genetic makeup.