What is the largest size and weight an animal can be?

  • Thread starter Thread starter iDimension
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal Weight
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
iDimension
Messages
108
Reaction score
4
Due to the square cube law there is a limit to how large an animal can be. I believe sea animals are capable of being much larger than land animals because the water supports their weight but what is the theoretical limit to how large a land animal can be and a sea animal? Excluding food consumption etc just purely mathematical limits.

From looking at wikipedia it seems the largest land animal ever was the titanosaur Argentinosaurus huinculensis which stood at between 30 and 50 metres and weighed between 80 and 100 tonnes. Is this pretty much the limit for a land animal?

Thanks.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
That article doesn't answer my question and neither did any of my other searches which I why I posted on here. I'm looking for an answer that works out what the upper limit might be for a land based animal and a sea based animal.
 
iDimension said:
That article doesn't answer my question and neither did any of my other searches which I why I posted on here. I'm looking for an answer that works out what the upper limit might be for a land based animal and a sea based animal.
Maybe that's because there is no answer.
 
Are you limiting your request to animals?

There are things alive on the Earth larger than Blue Whales.

I doubt there is any meaningful hard upper limit to their size, I mean, aside from the area of the Earth's landmasses.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jedishrfu
Perforce, we're limited to land quadrupeds. Had evolution turned a different way, more legs could allow more body mass...