What is the Length of a Rope When Two Pipes are Tied Together?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Icelove
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pipes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Icelove
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The problem is pretty long but it is easy except one part where I need to calculate the length of a rope where 2 pipes are tied together tightly. We can reduce this to 2 dimensions so I drew a rough sketch of it. I didn't quite succeed with the the perfect drawing but you get the idea.

Here's the sketch
__alright.PNG


So the informations we are given that the diameter of the bigger pipe's is 90cm, the smaller one's is 30cm.


Homework Equations


i = r*a(rad)
K = 2*r*pi

The total cc of the big circle is:~282.7cm ,and the smaller one is: ~94.2 cm

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried with Pythagoras' theorem but I realized with this kind of calculation, I get an approximation and not real solution.


I then figured that I have to calculate the circumference of both circles then substract the length of the arc. Then I still have to find the distance between the two circles connected by the bridges.

Since we only have the information of the radiuses I was thinking that we have to find a ratio between the circles and then can get the arc. I tried simplify it by creating 2 equal sized circles then shrinking one of them, but I got confused and couldn't get my ratios.


So forum, can you lead me to success?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Icelove! :smile:

The straight parts will be the common tangents of the two circles, so draw the two radii: you know their lengths, and the distance between the centres, and you know that the tangent is perpendicular to the radii …

from that, you can find the length of the tangent, and the angle between the radii and the line through the centres. :wink:
 
tiny-tim, you are opening my math eye. I love you, thanks AGAIN. :)