What is the limit of ln(x) as x approaches negative infinity and zero?

  • Thread starter Thread starter frasifrasi
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
frasifrasi
Messages
276
Reaction score
0
Brief, basic -- lim question...

So, i know this is too basic, but can anyone tell me what the lim of ln(x) is as x approaches
-infinity
-neg infinity
-zero (from left and right)

--> I know I am supposed to know these, but I think I might be confusing them...

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can do this analytically, just by visualizing the graph of the function.
-As x increases, the natural log of x also increases without bound.
-Are negative numbers part of your domain?
-What happens to values of ln(x) as x approaces 0? Just look at a graph of the parent function.
 
I wouldn't call that analytic. I would think of ln(x) as the inverse of exp(x) and exp(x) has derivative strictly greater than 1 for all x>0.