What Is the Limit of the Sequence Defined by the Sum of Binomial Coefficients?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit Sequence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
aaaa202
Messages
1,144
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


I want to find the limit of ƩK(n+m,n)zn
K(a,b) being the binomial coefficient.

Homework Equations


Cauchy root test?

The Attempt at a Solution



Trying the cauchy root test I get:

1/R = limn->∞[(K(n+m,n))½]

But what do I do from here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The "Cauchy root test" tells you whether or not a series converges. It says nothing about what it converges to. If I read this correctly, you have
[tex]\sum \begin{pmatrix}n+m \\ n\end{pmatrix}z^n[/tex]

The sum is over n with m fixed? And it is a finite sum? n goes from 0 to what?
 
well maybe I named it wrong, but I meant the formula stated above, which gives an explicit expression for the radius of convergence, R.
And the sum is from zero to infinity. Sorry for the lack of information :)
 
aaaa202 said:
well maybe I named it wrong, but I meant the formula stated above, which gives an explicit expression for the radius of convergence, R.
And the sum is from zero to infinity. Sorry for the lack of information :)

If you set z = -t, the coefficient of t^n is the "negative binomial" coefficient:
[tex](-1)^n {n+m \choose n} = {-m \choose n}.[/tex] That should allow you to evaluate the sum explicitly.

RGV
 
Last edited: