What is the Mass of Dark Matter in a Spiral Galaxy?

In summary: After correcting that, the values make more sense. Thank you for the help!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of a spiral galaxy's disk and dark matter components separately using rotational velocity data. The homework equations and attempt at a solution are also provided, with a correction made to use the correct data point in calculations. The resulting values for the disk and dark matter masses seem more reasonable after correcting a conversion error.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

Suppose that a sprial galaxy has the mass profile:

##M_{disk}(r)=M_d[1-(1+\frac{r}{r_{rd}})e^{-\frac{r}{r_{rd}}}]##

Where rrd=3Kpc. and Md is unknown.

Like all galaxies, this galaxy also contains dark matter as well as its luminous matter. Using the rotational velocity data, you will separately measure the masses of both components, spiral disk and dark matter halo.

1) Find Mdsuch that the circular velocity predicted by the disk alone would not exceed the observed circular velocity at all radii, even neglecting the contribution from the dark matter?
2) Assume that the total disk mass Md is equal to the maximal value you computed
in part (1). The remaining mass must correspond to the dark matter. At the
Sun's radius of 8 kpc, what is the enclosed mass of dark matter, MDM(8 kpc), and
how does it compare to the enclosed spiral disk mass at that radius, Mdisk(8 kpc)?

Homework Equations

##v_{circ}=\sqrt{\frac{GM(r)}{r}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

From the data I've been given I find the highest velocity and it's corresponding radius. I plugged this into given equation and plug that into the circular velocity equation. I also converted all of the Kpc to meters and the Km/s to m/s.

so:
[tex]v_{circ}=\sqrt{\frac{GM_d[1-(1+\frac{r}{r_{rd}})e^{-\frac{r}{r_{rd}}}]}{r}}[/tex]
[tex]v_{circ}^2=\frac{GM_d[1-(1+\frac{r}{r_{rd}})e^{-\frac{r}{r_{rd}}}]}{r}[/tex]
[tex]v_{circ}^2\frac{r}{G[1-(1+\frac{r}{r_{rd}})e^{-\frac{r}{r_{rd}}}]}=M_d[/tex]
v=194150m/s
rrd=3Kpc=9.257(10)14
r=9Kpc=2.7774(10)15
1pc=3.086(10)11m

Substituting these values in I get ≈2(10)36kg

The second part, I assume, I just do the same calculations but instead of having Md in there I'd have (Md+MDM). But I think, before I even start that this will be nonsense considering the values I have to put in:

8Kpc=2.4688(10)15m
v@8Kpc=193979m/s

[tex]v_{circ}^2\frac{r}{G[1-(1+\frac{r}{r_{rd}})e^{-\frac{r}{r_{rd}}}]}-M_d=M_{DM}[/tex]

MDM=-9.1(10)34

Notice that this is negative. I've attached the data I was given. The left column, I assume, is R and the right is v. It wasn't labeled but I think it is safe to assume such things.

So, what have I done wrong? My galaxy mass seems pretty low considering our own galaxy mass. But I'm not sure where I went wrong. Thanks for any guidance!

Attachments

• Data.jpg
    Data.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
From the data I've been given I find the highest velocity and it's corresponding radius.
That's not the right datapoint. The disk mass is not allowed to lead to a velocity above the observed one, so you need the datapoint which corresponds to the smallest M_d.

So, the smallest V of 89 then. I'll work out the calculations again after I make breakfast for my son!

Okay, everything makes more sense now using that value. Thanks for the help!

also, i was using the wrong conversion for pc->m. its 10^16 not 10^11

1. What is galaxy mass and how is it measured?

Galaxy mass refers to the total amount of matter contained within a galaxy. It is typically measured using a combination of techniques, including gravitational lensing, which uses the bending of light by the galaxy's mass to estimate its total mass, and the Doppler effect, which measures the velocity of stars and gas within the galaxy to estimate its mass.

2. What is dark matter and how does it contribute to galaxy mass?

Dark matter is a hypothesized form of matter that does not emit, absorb, or reflect light, making it invisible to traditional telescopes. However, its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter, such as stars and gas, in a galaxy. It is estimated that dark matter makes up about 85% of a galaxy's total mass.

3. How is dark matter distributed within a galaxy?

Dark matter is thought to be distributed in a spherical halo around the visible matter in a galaxy. This means that it is not concentrated in the center of the galaxy, but extends outwards, surrounding the visible matter and contributing to the overall mass of the galaxy.

4. What are the implications of dark matter for our understanding of galaxies?

The existence of dark matter has significant implications for our understanding of galaxies. It helps to explain why galaxies rotate at the observed speeds, and it is necessary to account for the observed gravitational lensing effects. It also suggests that there is more to the universe than the matter we can see and opens up questions about the nature of dark matter and its role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.

5. Can we directly observe dark matter?

Currently, we are unable to directly observe dark matter, as it does not interact with light. However, scientists are working to develop new technologies and techniques that may allow us to detect dark matter particles indirectly. These efforts include experiments with underground detectors and the use of high-energy particle accelerators to try and produce dark matter particles.