What is the mass of the lunar lander using the PhETLunar Lander applet?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Danya314
Messages
15
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Using the PhETLunar Lander applet, we are to find the mass of the lunar lander. We know the maximum acceleration of the module's engines and gravitational acceleration of the moon.

Homework Equations


F=ma
mgh=1/2mv^2
f*t=p

The Attempt at a Solution


Everytime I try to symbolically solve for the mass, the mass cancels out. I have tried using Newton's 2nd Law equations, conservation of energy, work-energy, and conservation of momentum. I can't seem to isolate mass on one side of an equation.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Kind of hard to figure out what you might be doing wrong since you did not post any work for us to look at.
 
phinds said:
Kind of hard to figure out what you might be doing wrong since you did not post any work for us to look at.
What I have done so far isn't wrong, it just isn't getting me the answer I need. Like I said, I can't isolate mass on one side of an equation without cancelling the term out.
 
Attachments
  • help.JPG
    help.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 516