What is the Mean Absolute Deviation for Daily High Temperatures in St. Louis?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 22K views
smashedpumpki
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I understand MAD, but I cannot figure out this question. Here's the information.

Daily high temperatures in St. Louis for the last week were as follows: 92, 91, 94, 95, 96, 88,90.
The mean absolute deviation based on a 2-day moving average = 3.20

How in the world is it 3.20? I've tried 100's of combinations to try to repeat this answer, but I can't do it. I'm 100% sure this is the correct answer. Can anyone please show me a step by step walk through on this problem? I've spent all day on this... I know it has to be simple.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I got it! I finally got some help that really explained what 2-day moving average means. This is a forecasting problem.

Numbers - 92, 91, 94, 95, 96, 88,90
2-Day Averages - 91.5, 92.5, 94.5, 95.5, 92
Absolute Error - 2.5, 2.5, 1.5, 7.5, 2
MAD = 3.2