What is the mechanism of using EMDR for treating PTSD?

• Medical
  • Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary: PMC5609241/In summary, EMDR therapy is a psychotherapy that is widely recognized as being effective in helping people recover from trauma.
berkeman
Mentor
In a Facebook post recently by a friend of mine who is a very experienced Firefighter Paramedic FF/P (and currently a Captain at our local FD), he mentioned that EMDR had helped him a lot to deal with the traumatic events that Fire and EMS deal with. Several other FFs chimed in that EMDR therapy had helped them also, so I looked it up and so far I can't find a clear explanation of the details of the therapy.

What is EMDR therapy?​

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy is an extensively researched, effective psychotherapy method proven to help people recover from trauma and other distressing life experiences, including PTSD, anxiety, depression, and panic disorders.
The https://www.psychiatry.org/psychiatrists/practice/clinical-practice-guidelines, the American Psychological Association, the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies, National Alliance on Mental Illness, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, the U.K. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs/Dept. of Defense, The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, and the World Health Organization among many other national and international organizations recognize EMDR therapy as an effective treatment. More specific information on treatment guidelines can be found on our EMDR and PTSD page.
https://www.emdria.org/about-emdr-therapy/

Does anybody have experience with this therapy? I've been pretty lucky so far in my 14 years in part-time EMS, with only a few extreme traumatic events that I've been able to deal with fairly well (good metric -- no bad dreams about the events), but I'm always interested in knowing about and understanding the options for maintaining good mental health when working in stressful medical fields.

BTW, I am experienced in CISD, and have used it multiple times with my EMS teams:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...al-incident-stress-debriefing-traumatic-event

Update -- my FF/P Captain friend is a long time DMAT member. His experiences and deployments are some incredible and seriously crazy stuff. Think of the hardest deployments to disasters like Katrina and Tsunamis and Earthquakes worldwide, and think of austere medicine with very little in the way of medical supplies. That is some serious stress...

http://www.ca6dmat.org/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes BillTre
Biology news on Phys.org
CISD, DMAT acronyms for?

Tom.G said:
CISD, DMAT acronyms for?
Oops, sorry. Those acronyms are defined in the associated links, but I should have defined them so you wouldn't have to go do a bunch of reading to figure them out.

CISD is Critical Incident Stress Debriefing, and is used by some departments and organizations to help first responders deal with especially stressful calls. Like dealing with a minivan full of kids that's been T-boned, and a few kids are dead and the rest need extrication and emergent transport. CISD is a little controversial, since it is mandatory at some departments and handled more optionally at others. Some first responders say that talking through stressful incidents right afterwards is not necessarily helpful for them. I learned about CISD early in my EMS work, and I'm a believer in it.

DMAT is Disaster Medical Assistance Team, which are groups of medical professionals who do extra training to be available for deployment to disaster zones to help with austere medical treatment. DMAT teams are deployed world-wide (like to Haiti, for example), as well as domestically (like to Katrina). There are other groups like this that just deploy locally in their state or maybe the adjoining state. The Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics and EMTs (as well as some other specialties) that make up these DMAT teams typically are working professionals who can take time off from their work for these deployments. I believe that DMAT teams are paid during their deployments with federal dollars. Local groups that deploy may do so on a volunteer basis, or sometimes they are paid.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G

What is EMDR?

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a psychotherapy technique used to treat post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other mental health conditions. It involves a therapist guiding the patient through a series of eye movements while recalling distressing memories or thoughts.

How does EMDR work?

The exact mechanism of action for EMDR is still being studied, but it is believed to work by activating the brain's natural healing processes. The eye movements are thought to stimulate the brain's information processing system, allowing the patient to reprocess traumatic memories in a more adaptive way.

Is EMDR effective for treating PTSD?

There is a growing body of research that supports the effectiveness of EMDR for treating PTSD. Studies have shown that it can significantly reduce symptoms of PTSD, such as flashbacks, nightmares, and avoidance behaviors, in a relatively short amount of time.

Are there any potential side effects or risks associated with EMDR?

EMDR is generally considered to be safe and well-tolerated, with few reported side effects. However, some patients may experience temporary discomfort or distress during the therapy session. It is important to work with a trained and licensed therapist to ensure that EMDR is appropriate for your individual needs.

How many sessions of EMDR are typically needed for treating PTSD?

The number of sessions needed for EMDR therapy can vary depending on the individual and the severity of their PTSD symptoms. On average, 6-12 sessions are recommended, but some patients may require more or fewer sessions. It is important to work closely with your therapist to determine the best treatment plan for your specific needs.