What Is the Nature of Dark Matter?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Luke77
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
What is dark matter?
I understand this is a huge topic, so feel free to refer me to a book or link. Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Luke77 said:
What is dark matter?
I understand this is a huge topic, so feel free to refer me to a book or link. Thank you.

It is huge. If you are starting from scratch, I really don't think there is anything wrong with starting at Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter It does have further links.
 
Dark matter is matter that has little to no electromagnetic interaction. There is a known quantity of baryonic matter that is considered to be dark matter but it is a very small percentage, neutrinos are also dark matter, neutralinos (haven't been proven to exist but a strong candidate) and axions (but I don't know much about them).

I did a research paper on dark matter last semester and have to tell you it gets very complex and in the end no one knows because there has not been experimental verification for what dark matter is.
This is a link that was provided by Chronos that really helped me get my research underway.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.3942
Good luck and careful not to get sidetracked too much with the quantum physics involved!