What is the net force needed to accelerate a rocket sled to 1600 km/hr in 1.8 s?

  • Thread starter Thread starter raincheck
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kinematics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
raincheck
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
"An experimental rocket sled can be accelerated at a constant rate from rest to 1600 km/hr in 1.8 s. What is the magnitude of the required net force if the sled has a mass of 500 kg?"

I know I have to use
[sum of the] F = ma

and i was trying
= 500 x 1600,
but I'm sure there's something else I have to do to get the right answer, since this isn't working..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look again at the definition of acceleration. You have used velocity in place of acceleration. Be careful with your units. km/hr is not m/s.
 
If you are having trouble, try solving it in terms of kinematics first. After you find the acceleration, then you can do what you did.