What is the oldest known musical instrument in history?

  • Thread starter Thread starter edward
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Year
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Awesome! I'm writing a paper on prehistoric music so this is fairly interesting!
 
moose said:
Awesome! I'm writing a paper on prehistoric music so this is fairly interesting!

I would never have imagined that they would find something that old. The first thing that came to mind was: "its got to be a hoax".
 
edward said:
I would never have imagined that they would find something that old. The first thing that came to mind was: "its got to be a hoax".

Ya I was thinking the same thing... This is really remarkable I never would have thought any kind of crafted instrument existed back then.

What I wonder though is why they ever decided to put holes in it anyways? Probably just a mistake and they thought that it sounded nice?
 
Sorry! said:
Ya I was thinking the same thing... This is really remarkable I never would have thought any kind of crafted instrument existed back then.

What I wonder though is why they ever decided to put holes in it anyways? Probably just a mistake and they thought that it sounded nice?

Someone probably put just one hole in a piece of bone and just got carried away. Thats progress.:biggrin: