What is the opposite of imagination?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hacker Jack
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 3K views
Hacker Jack
Messages
10
Reaction score
14
And what exactly is imagination? How do you define it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hacker Jack said:
What is the opposite of imagination?

Playing Doom?

By the way, why do you think there should be an opposite for it?

Anyway, :welcome:
 
What do you mean by opposite? Do you mean the lack of it - like an unimaginative person, a blockhead? Or an opposite - or at least complementary - faculty, like reason?
 
Dogma
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Buzz Bloom, BillTre and PeroK
Imagination is ##-\otimes_\mathbb{R}\mathbb{C}## and the opposite is the realization.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mcastillo356, Vanadium 50 and atyy
hutchphd said:
Dogma

and faith or belief. They will inhibit individuality the cradle of imagination.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd and BillTre
fresh_42 said:
Imagination is ##-\otimes_\mathbb{R}\mathbb{C}## and the opposite is the realization.

These aren't opposites (inverses)!
 
Infrared said:
These aren't opposites (inverses)!
And this wasn't a serious question.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vanadium 50, BillTre and phinds
Sorry, I am not native...I'm learning. Could be something like "let it be"? Yes, it's a verb, but I think it suits. Am I wrong?
 
Hacker Jack said:
And what exactly is imagination? How do you define it?
Perhaps you meant "What goes on in my brain when I imagine things?"

Say I just went downstairs to make a pot of coffee, peanut butter and toast. Now I'm up here typing away lightening-fast on my PC. As I'm writing this, I pause and think about my experience down there , getting the water, pouring it in, measuring the coffee, checking the label for saturated fat. What exactly is going on in the brain that's allowing me to "imagine" that past experience, and what allows me to imagine wholly new and novel scenarios for which I have not physically participated? That is, what property of the brain gives rise to the latter, that of creative inventiveness, and how does this process contribute to the discovery of new ideas?
 
noitanigami
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander and Ibix
This thread has been answered, thanks everyone, thread closed.