What Is the Percentile Rank of a 20-Year-Old Machine?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Incog
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



60% of all machines inspected were 20 years or older. Give a percentile ranking for the age of 20 years in the distribution of all ages of inspected machines.


Homework Equations



Don't think there are any that apply to this question :/

I found this equation:

Precentile rank = (B + 0.5E) / n

...where B = number of scores below x, E = number of scores equal to x, n = number of scores, and x is the percentile rank you want to find (http://www.regentsprep.org/regents/math/algebra/AD6/quartiles.htm)

But I can't really plug anything in.

The Attempt at a Solution



Maybe this is more on the intuitive side, or I'm not understanding the question. It seems like more variables have to be given, as there isn't much to do!

60% were 20 years or older, so 40% were less than 20. Now what? I'd need to know the total number of scores, wouldn't I?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org