What is the PF policy on very old unanswered threads?

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, a user stumbled upon a long list of about 198 unanswered threads, mostly consisting of old homework problems. Many of these threads were posted in 2016 or earlier and the original poster has not been active since then, indicating that the content is no longer useful. Some of the threads are spam, which may have been overlooked by mentors. The user has reported some of the spam threads and is asking about the PF policy on such threads. They are advised to report the spam ones and leave the rest.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Just now, I stumbled upon a long list of about 198 unanswered threads. A majority of these are homework problems, posted long ago, say in 2016 or so. In many cases, the OP was last seen on the date of posting the thread, which shows that these are all useless content. Few are spam, which might have been overlooked by the mentors somehow. I have just reported some of them.

What is the PF policy on such threads? Should they be deleted? Should I go on reporting such threads?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Report the spam ones, leave the rest, thanks!
OK, got it.

What is considered a "very old" unanswered thread?

According to the PF (Physics Forums) policy, a thread is considered "very old" if it has been inactive for more than 6 months.

Why does PF have a policy on very old unanswered threads?

Prioritizing active and current discussions helps to maintain a high quality and up-to-date forum for users. The policy also helps to reduce clutter and make it easier for users to find relevant information.

What happens to very old unanswered threads?

Threads that are considered "very old" will be automatically closed and moved to the PF Archive section. This means that users will no longer be able to post replies or comments on these threads.

Can I still view very old unanswered threads?

Yes, all threads in the PF Archive section are still accessible for viewing. However, they are no longer open for discussion or new replies.

Can I request for a very old unanswered thread to be reopened?

No, the PF policy on very old unanswered threads is to automatically close and move them to the Archive section. Requests for reopening old threads will not be considered.