What is the physical meaning of this eqn

  • Thread starter Thread starter MarkB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
MarkB
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I am doing a research about the wave function. I am planning on take ing the way function and changing the power on the x.
m(d^(2)x/dt^(2)) + kx^n =0

What is the physical meaning when you do make the x rasied to some power?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If n is not 1, but odd, you could call it a non-linear oscillator.
 
MarkB said:
I am doing a research about the wave function. I am planning on take ing the way function and changing the power on the x.
m(d^(2)x/dt^(2)) + kx^n =0

What is the physical meaning when you do make the x rasied to some power?

Thanks
Arildno gave a good answer.
Note: you should not call x(t) a "wavefunction". A wavefunction would be, say y(x,t) for a transverse wave on a string (as one example).