Physical Meaning of the Imaginary Part of a Wave Function

deuteron
TL;DR Summary
As far as I've encountered, the imaginary part of functions describing physical phenomena have a physical meaning too. What is the physical meaning of the imaginary part of the wave function for the plane wave?
We know the wave function:
$$ \frac {\partial^2\psi}{\partial t^2}=\frac {\partial^2\psi}{\partial x^2}v^2,$$

where the function ##\psi(x,t)=A\ e^{i(kx-\omega t)}## satisfies the wave function and is used to describe plane waves, which can be written as:

$$ \psi(x,t)=A\ [\cos(kx-\omega t)+i\sin(kx-\omega t)]$$

Here, the real part of the equation alone, ##\Re(\psi)=A\cos(kx-\omega t)##, also describes a plane wave, however what is the physical meaning of the imaginary part? I know that in QM, since ##|\psi|## depends on the imaginary part too, it has some physical relevance, but my question is not necessarily limited to quantum mechanics. I have seen other similar questions, but I unfortunately haven't seen a satisfying answer
The motivation behind my question is that so far the complex parts of physical variables I have encountered also have a physical meaning: The complex part of the refraction index corresponds to the absorption, the complex part of the scattering amplitude indicates the existence of inelastic processes; that's why I am curious

If it doesn't have a meaning, why don't we say that ##A\sin(kx-\omega t),\ A\cos(kx-\omega t)## and ##A\exp[i(kx-\omega t)]## all satisfy the wave equation, where we don't know the physical meaning of the exponential one?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends of course on the physics you consider. If your field, ##\psi##, is a real quantity you look of course only for real solutions. Since it's a linear differential equation with real coefficients for any complex solution you get two real solutions by taking ##\mathrm{Re} \psi## and ##\mathrm{Im} \psi##.

As an initial-value problem the solution is uniquely determined by giving initial values ##\psi_0(t=0,x)=f(x)## and ##\partial_t \psi_0(t=0,x)=g(x)##.

Sometimes you have in addition also boundary constraints (e.g., if ##\psi## displacement of a string of length ##L## you have ##\psi(t,0)=\psi(t,L)=0##).

Note that the general solution of the (1+1)d wave equation is given by
$$\psi(t,x)=\psi_1(x-vt) + \psi_2(x+vt)$$
with arbitrary functions ##\psi_1## and ##\psi_2##, i.e., you have enough "freedom" to fulfill the initial and boundary conditions.

Likes deuteron

What is the physical meaning of the imaginary part of a wave function?

The imaginary part of a wave function represents the phase of the wave. It does not have a direct physical interpretation, but it is crucial in determining the overall behavior of the wave function.

Does the imaginary part of a wave function have any observable effects?

While the imaginary part itself is not directly measurable, it plays a significant role in determining the probability distribution of a quantum system. This distribution can be measured experimentally and is related to the square of the absolute value of the wave function.

How does the imaginary part of a wave function affect the behavior of particles?

The imaginary part of a wave function influences the interference patterns that particles exhibit. It affects how particles interact with each other and with their surroundings, ultimately determining their behavior in quantum systems.

Can the imaginary part of a wave function be manipulated or controlled?

In quantum mechanics, the imaginary part of a wave function is a fundamental aspect of the theory and cannot be directly manipulated or controlled. However, by manipulating the real part of the wave function, one can indirectly influence the overall behavior of the system.

How does the imaginary part of a wave function relate to quantum entanglement?

The imaginary part of a wave function is essential in describing the entangled state of quantum systems. It plays a crucial role in determining the correlations between entangled particles and is necessary for understanding the non-local behavior exhibited by entangled systems.