What is the Purpose of tg() in Physics?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter penguindecay
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
penguindecay
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Dear Physicists,

I've been given an equation tg(psi_1) = et cetera. I do not know the meaning of the tg function, please could could one tell me its formal name, or how it functions? Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a fairly common abbreviation for the tangent function, at least in older books.
 
arildno said:
It's a fairly common abbreviation for the tangent function, at least in older books.

Thank you! It's the first time in fours years of higher education that I've seen it!
 
penguindecay said:
Thank you! It's the first time in fours years of higher education that I've seen it!

You're welcome! :smile:

And, to make a pre-emptive strike, lg() is an old convention for the (Briggs') logarithm..:wink: