What is the purpose of vibrant colors in deep-sea creatures?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Medicago
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 6K views
Medicago
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
I have recently been to an exhibition of deep-sea life, some of the exhibited life forms live thousands of meters under the surface where sunlight does not penetrate, it is therefore that they rely entirely on geothermal vents as a source of energy, they have never been exposed to direct sunlight and neither, I suppose, did their ancestors. Looking at these creatures I couldn't help notice that, while some of them are entirely transparent and others are a bland shade of white or grey, as you'd expect in a light-less environment, there are a great number of richly coloured anemones and crabs. What is the purpose of this colour if there is barely any light to show it? Why would pigmentation develop in the first place?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Perhaps they are late-comers to the deepsea vents, and haven't shed their colours yet?

Interesting question, BTW
 
Could be their colors are random, after all, each substance interacts with a light this way or another. For example hemoglobin isn't red for a purpose, its color is completely accidental.
 
Medicago said:
... there are a great number of richly coloured anemones and crabs. What is the purpose of this colour if there is barely any light to show it? Why would pigmentation develop in the first place?

What kind of color ? Is it luminance like light producing creatures or pigmentation of skin ?
Do these still have eyes ?
 
For some reason I have missed this phrase earlier:

Medicago said:
some of them are entirely transparent and others are a bland shade of white or grey, as you'd expect in a light-less environment

Can you elaborate? Why do you think in a light-less environment any color should be preferred over others?
 
Borek said:
I guess Medicago refers to pigmentation.

could you elaborate ? What is medicago ?
 
OP. That is, Original Poster. Person who started the thread.
 
Without having an example, it is hard to know what we are talking about. It could even be the case that organisms from the top-layer of the ocean adapted to living in the depths.
 
Borek said:
OP. That is, Original Poster. Person who started the thread.

i got confused, I thought you were referring to some term . Forgot the OP was medicago.
 
Monique said:
Without having an example, it is hard to know what we are talking about. It could even be the case that organisms from the top-layer of the ocean adapted to living in the depths.
*Slap on monique's wrist for not crediting me with that idea. I was FIRSTEST!* :mad:
 
Oh, is that what you meant. And be careful with the slapping, I might slap back :devil:
 
My first post had a particularly poignant quality of clarity requiring a fine intellect to discern.

I will be more blunt&limpwristed in the future. :smile:
 
arildno said:
My first post had a particularly poignant quality of clarity requiring a fine intellect to discern.
If you say so :rolleyes:
It appears that you haven't shed your colors yet either :smile:
 
Monique said:
It appears that you haven't shed your colors yet either :smile:
Actually, as the years go by, I'm acquiring new colours, rather than shedding them, for example a nice yellowing of my fingertips. :smile:
 
Monique said:
Without having an example, it is hard to know what we are talking about. It could even be the case that organisms from the top-layer of the ocean adapted to living in the depths.

schizoid said:
What kind of color ? Is it luminance like light producing creatures or pigmentation of skin ?
Do these still have eyes ?

No, it's not luminescent fish, specifically, I am referring to an Anemone with a red 'top', if you will, that lives exclusively around geothermal vents. Why would anything replace the sun for a geothermal vent over the course of evolution? I doubt it made it's way down from the surface.

Borek said:
Could be their colors are random, after all, each substance interacts with a light this way or another. For example hemoglobin isn't red for a purpose, its color is completely accidental.

I gave this some thought, it seems plausible, although sometimes the patterns and colours looked as if they serve/served some purpose at some point.