What is the radial density distribution of a neutron star?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
K.J.Healey
Messages
622
Reaction score
0
Is there a simple-model equation for the radial density of a neutron star, from core to shell? I assume there have been models of fermionic gases, anyone have something onhand
Is it a specific distribution? Linear? 1/r^2?
I know its just a balancing of gravitational potential with strong interaction in the simplest of cases, which would lead to what? Nuclear density orders, with some radial distribution from core to shell?

On a similar note, what about for any normal star, such as our sun? (Not interested in numbers but mass distributions)

Thanks!
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Just found for a regular star, something like:

p = p_o *(1-(r/R)^2)

that sound right?
 
That looks right for a regular star - as a ball of gas.
I don't know for a neutron star - it may be constant! If the neutrons are supported by degeneracy pressure then that might be the maximum density they can get.
 
but observational data says that a neutron star's density is around 1×10^9 kg/m³ in the crust and up to 8×10^17 kg/m³ deeper inside.

thats quite a jump in orders of magnitude


(http://www.astro.umd.edu/~miller/nstar.html)

But density pressure can be "broken" right? Creating plasmas (Q/G) at the core? I know that s for a much more difficult model if I start including every aspect. I was just asking to see if anyone here had any insight.