What is the Relationship Between Leak Rates and Different Gases?

  • Thread starter Thread starter madanitsuj
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gases
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
madanitsuj
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi Everyone,

I have a problem that I've been working on and I'm having a little trouble. Essentially I have a tank with a known leak rate at a given pressure and temperature. We are currently using hydrogen, but I need to know what the equivalent leak rate would be if we changed the gas to say nitrogen or oxygen. Assuming I have the known values of pressure, temperature, and flow rate, would it be possible to determine the leak rate that we would be detect if we input a different gas and pressurized to the same pressure as before?

Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
if you know that leak occurs at tank sealing, it should be sufficient to compare the viscosity of the hydrogen and of the gas you are supposed to utilize. The leak (dot_q) decrease proportionally to the viscosity (eta) as dot_q propto 1/eta.

M