Find hole size for allowable leak in pressure vessel

• Thread starter bgaw
  • Start date
Summary:
Need to find the hole size for an an allowable leak in a small, low pressure vessel.
Hello, all. I am completely new here so please be gentle.

I have a small, cylindrical, sealed ("no leak") pressure vessel with an approximate volume of 27 cm3. It has a constant supply of air pressure at 8"WC. I'm trying to figure out how big of a hole it can have if there is an allowable leak/flow rate of 1.00 sccm.

I feel like this isn't that hard of a problem and I should probably know how to do it, but alas I've been out or school for awhile and I do not. And I haven't been able to find anything in my internet searches that seem to tackle this problem. Most of what I can find deals with water and the Bernoulli equation, but I don't think that applies here. I'm pretty sure I'm missing some information/data. I'm not necessarily looking for an exact answer, but mostly just how to do this as I may need to do other versions of this in the future. Thank you in advance.

Answers and Replies

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2021 Award
Welcome to PF.
How long is the hole, how thick is the cylinder wall ?
What shape is the hole ?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Haello @bgaw ,
:welcome: ##\qquad ##!​
.. to find anything in my internet searches
Funny, a search for 'orifice air flow' yields a lot of useful stuff ! Even a calculator, but perhaps it's more useful to look through the equations to see if they apply for your range of ##\Delta p##

##\ ##

Welcome to PF.
How long is the hole, how thick is the cylinder wall ?
What shape is the hole ?
The wall thickness is 0.06". And the hole will be round.

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Expanding: google search for 'vapour leak flow' has this in fourth place, with some formulas on page 8/9.

Incidentally, the calculator gives me a worst case initial guess of 19 ##\mu\textsf {m}##:
1638484748727.png

1638484768150.png

Where I am assuming sccm is 10-6 Nm3/min

##\ ##

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The wall thickness is 0.06". And the hole will be round.
So the 19 ##\mu##m is ##<<## 1500 ##\mu##m (0.06") and you want to include a pressure drop over the narrow channel ...

##\ ##