What is the relationship between nucleus deformation and fission requirements?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mitch_1211
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fission
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
mitch_1211
Messages
95
Reaction score
1
So I think, as a rule of thumb that for fission to be possible [itex]\frac{Z^2}{A}[/itex][itex]\geq[/itex]47

I want to be able to derive this relationship though..

If a nucleus deforms into an ellipsoid, its surface area can be described by

4[itex]\pi[/itex]R2(1+[itex]\frac{2}{5}[/itex][itex]\epsilon^2[/itex] + ...) call this X

And its Coulomb energy can be described as

[itex]\frac{3Z^2}{20\pi\epsilon_0R}[/itex](1-[itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex][itex]\epsilon^2[/itex] + ...) call this Y

And so ΔBE = X-Y

For fission to occur set ΔBE ≤ 0

Once I've done all this I'm not sure how to get ΔBE in terms of A and Z only. I know R = r0A1/3

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I should mention that [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is an arbitrary deformation parameter associated with the ellipsoid and can be factored out
 
You can use that formula for R and solve for ##\frac{\partial (X-Y)}{\partial \epsilon}=0##.
I would expect that this overestimates the required Z^2/A - if that derivative is negative, the nucleus should not form at all or decay within less than a femtosecond.