1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the resultant amplitude at X?

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two wave generators S1 and S2 produce water waves of wavelength 0.5 m. A detector X is placed on the water surface 3 m from S1 and 2 m from S2 as shown in the diagram. Each generator produced a wave of amplitude A at X when operated alone. The generator are operating together and producing waves which have a constant phase difference of [tex]\pi[/tex] radians. What is the resultant amplitude at X?

a. 0
    b. A/2
    c. A/3
    d. A
    e. 2 A

untitled-1.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Phase difference [tex]\pi[/tex] means that the two waves are completely out of phase.

The path difference (p) between the two sources = 1 m = 2 [tex]\lambda[/tex]. If p = n[tex]\lambda[/tex], it should produce constructive interference, but I think we have to consider the phase difference...

Now I'm confused how to relate these two informations to obtain the answer. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: wave

D path difference corresponds to 2pi*D/lambda phase difference, and the total phase difference counts in interference.

ehild

4. Jan 18, 2010 #3

Hi ehild

Sorry but I don't get it...:frown:

You mean : phase difference = 2pi*D/lambda ?

5. Jan 18, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Lambda path difference is equivalent to 2pi phase difference, 2lambda path difference + the original phase difference between the sources is 4pi + pi phase difference at the meeting point of the waves.

ehild

6. Jan 19, 2010 #5

I think I get it. It will be destructive interference.

Thanks ehild !! :smile:

7. Jan 19, 2010 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, you got it!!:smile:

8. Jan 19, 2010 #7

Hi ehild

I want to ask another condition. What if the generator are operating together and producing waves which have a constant phase difference of pi/2 radians?

The phase difference will be 4.5 pi and I think a complete destructive or constructive interference won't occur. How to determine the amplitude at X?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  9. Jan 20, 2010 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When two waves meet in a point, and one produces a displacement (Displacement can be a lot of things. Change of pressure if it is sound, electric field strength, if it is an electromagnetic wave) y1=A1sin(wt) and the other y2=A2sin(wt+phi) the resultant will be a sin function again with a new amplitude and phase constant.

y1+y2=Asin(wt+alpha)-->
    A1 sin (wt)+
    A2[sin(wt)cos(phi)+cos(wt)sin(phi)]=A[sin(wt)cos(alpha)+cos(wt)sin(alpha)]

collect the terms containing sin(wt) and do the same with term containing cos(wt).

sin(wt)[A1+A2cos(phi)-Acos(alpha)]=cos(wt)[Asin(alpha)-A2sin(phi)]

The equation should hold for any t. If sin(wt)=0, the right side is also 0, but cos(wt) is different from 0, so

Asin(alpha)-A2sin(phi)=0

The same holds for the left side: A1+A2cos(phi)-Acos(alpha)=0

From this two equations, you get both A (the new amplitude) and alpha( the new phase)

A sin (alpha)=A2sin(phi)
    Acos(alpha)=A1+A2cos(phi)

Take the square of both equations and add them up, you get the square of the new amplitude:

A2=A12+2A1*A2*cos(phi)+A22

Assume that the amplitudes are equal A1=A2 and the phase difference is phi = pi/4 + 2k*pi, cos(phi)=sin(phi)=1/sqrt(2).

A=A1*sqrt[2+sqrt(2)]

ehild

10. Jan 20, 2010 #9

Hi ehild
    We take cos(wt) = 0 to get A1+A2cos(phi)-Acos(alpha)=0 ?

Thanks

11. Jan 20, 2010 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We can take cos(wt) anything between -1 and +1, the equation must hold. It must hold for cos(wt)=0 (that is, for wt=pi/2+2kpi) One side of the equation is 0, then the other side must be also 0. The right side is the product of sin(wt) and A1+A2cos(phi)-Acos(alpha). One of them must be 0. But it can not be sin(wt), because the sine is either +1 or -1. Therefore A1+A2cos(phi)-Acos(alpha)=0.

ehild

ehild

12. Jan 23, 2010 #11

Thanks a lot ehild !!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook