What is the Significance of a Secular Timescale?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Simfish
Gold Member
Messages
811
Reaction score
2
"act on any time scale from short term, commensurable with the orbit periods to secular (measured in 104 to 106 years)."

is a sentence with it.

I can't google up a good definition of "secular" in this context
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Secular means non-periodic
Of course you have to look at an infinite length of data before you decide that it isn;t periodic on some longer timescale!

It's form the original latin secular=age, nothing to do with secular=not religious
 
I thought it meant "once in an age" or "extremely long period" rather than non-periodic. In this case I think it means "long term" considering it's usage in justaposition to 'short term' in the example sentence.

See http://www.springerlink.com/content/x7884617p417485h/".

Google "secular orbit" or "secular interaction".
 
Last edited by a moderator:
In maths/finance secualr variation means a long term overall trend.
In astronomy I thought it meant a variation that is doesn't repeat or isn't predictable - like a chaotic orbit.