What is the Significance of Constraints in Relationships Between Variables?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Astrum
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Constraints
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Astrum
Messages
269
Reaction score
5
I have no idea what constraints are, nor do I understand why they are important.

I get where the constraints in these two examples come from, but not why they're significant.

These seem to be relationships between variables, and not much of a "constraint" in the sense I know the word.

Can someone give a quick definition or some insight into this?
 
Attachments
  • o_4a8185518c1381a1-1.jpg
    o_4a8185518c1381a1-1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what constraints are, nor do I understand why they are important.
If I chained you to a wall - the length of the chain is a constraint on your motion. The size of the wall is another one.
I'm pretty sure you would be able to tell why these constraints were important.
I get where the constraints in these two examples come from, but not why they're significant.
There are quite a few - you understand why the wedge being constrained to move only horizontally is significant right?

So which ones do you have trouble with?