Constraint Forces and Lagrange Multipliers

deuteron
TL;DR Summary
why are the gradients of the holonomic constraints perpendicular to the constraint forces
My question is about the general relationship between the constraint functions and the constraint forces, but I found it easier to explain my problem over the example of a double pendulum:
Consider a double pendulum with the generalized coordinates ##q=\{l_1,\theta_1,l_2,\theta_2\}##,:

1693837451586.png

The set of constraint functions is:
$$f=\begin{pmatrix} l_1-\text{const.}_1\\ l_2-\text{const.}_2\end{pmatrix}=0$$

Since ##f=0## describes the level curve ##N_0(f)##, it describes a submanifold in the configuration space, the generalized coordinates of phase space
Since this is a level curve, ##\nabla f## is perpendicular to the manifold embedded in the configuration space
However, the constraint *forces* act on the physical plane of motion, which is a submanifold in ##3d## space
Therefore, I don't understand how we can say that ##\nabla f\| F_\text{constraint}## in the Lagrangian mechanics, since they act on manifolds embedded in different spaces

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's write it down for a general case of one particle subject to one constraint, i.e., a particle moving on some surface. Then the Lagrangian reads
$$L=\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2 - V(\vec{x})$$
and the (holonomous) constraint
$$f(\vec{x})=0.$$
The constraint can be implemented using the Lagrange-multiplier method, i.e., you add to the variation of the action ##-\lambda \delta \vec{x} \cdot \vec{\nabla} f##. This leads to the Euler-Lagrange equations,
$$m \ddot{\vec{x}}=-\vec{\nabla} V-\lambda \vec{\nabla} f.$$
The 2nd term on the right-hand side are the "constraint forces". Since also the constraint itself must be fulfilled you have
$$0=\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} f(\vec{x})=\dot{\vec{x}} \cdot \vec{\nabla} f=0,$$
and thus with
$$\vec{F}_{\text{constraint}}=-\lambda \vec{\nabla} f \; \Rightarrow \; \dot{\vec{x}} \cdot \vec{F}_{\text{constraint}}=0,$$
i.e., the contraint forces are prependicular to the tangent vectors ##\dot{\vec{x}}## on the surface, described by the constraint.

The same holds of course in terms of any other coordinates as in your example. Only there of course you have two constraints constraining the mass points from the original 4D space to a 2D submanifold.

• Informative
Likes berkeman, topsquark and BvU

1. What are constraint forces?

Constraint forces are forces that arise due to the constraints placed on a system. These forces are necessary to keep the system in a constrained motion or position.

2. What is the significance of Lagrange multipliers in constraint forces?

Lagrange multipliers are used in the Lagrangian formalism to incorporate constraints into the equations of motion. They act as scaling factors for the constraint forces and allow for the determination of the most general form of the equations of motion.

3. How are constraint forces and Lagrange multipliers related?

Constraint forces and Lagrange multipliers are related through the Lagrange equations. The constraint forces are determined using the Lagrange multipliers, which are found by solving the Lagrange equations.

4. Can constraint forces be conservative?

Yes, constraint forces can be conservative. If the constraints are holonomic (can be expressed as equations involving only the coordinates and time), then the constraint forces can be derived from a potential function and are therefore conservative.

5. How do constraint forces affect the motion of a system?

Constraint forces can affect the motion of a system by limiting its possible motions or by changing the direction or magnitude of its velocity. They can also cause the system to deviate from its natural path or trajectory.