What is the simplicity of the Special Linear Lie Algebra?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
heras1985
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi,
Show that the Special linear Lie algebra is simple.
I tried it with induction but without result.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What exactly have tried? A good point to start is citing the definition of "Special linear Lie algebra" and "simple".
 
Definition of simple:
L is called simple if it has no ideals except {0} and L.
I is an ideal of L if [tex]x\in L, y\in I \Rightarrow [x,y]\in I[/tex]
The matrices whose trace is 0 form the special linear lie algebra [tex]sl_n(\mathbb{C})[/tex]. The special linear lie algebra is the lie algebra of the special linear group (this group is form by the matrices whose determinant is 1).
 
Last edited: