What is the so called orthogonal operator basis ?

In summary, an orthogonal operator basis is a set of basis vectors associated with an operator, where any arbitrary vector can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors. These basis vectors are orthogonal, meaning their inner product is equal to zero, and in some cases they may also be orthonormal with a magnitude of one. This concept is often used in quantum mechanics and is related to the field of linear algebra.
twinphoton
What is the so called "orthogonal operator basis"?

What is the so called "orthogonal operator basis"?

Physics news on Phys.org

I've never heard of the orthogonal operator basis, though I assume it would be a field theory thing, since in QFT we turn the wavefunctions into operators. I could be wrong.

Are you sure you're not simply talking about an orthogonal basis?

arunma said:
I've never heard of the orthogonal operator basis, though I assume it would be a field theory thing, since in QFT we turn the wavefunctions into operators. I could be wrong.

Are you sure you're not simply talking about an orthogonal basis?

Yes , i am sure that it does exist the "orthogonal operator basis", i.e. if we have this operator basis, arbitrary operator can be decomposed into the sum of several operators from these operator basis.

But, i do not know how to define these basis.

I think we'd have to know more specifics.

I can sort of see how it might work, though... operators do form a vector space, at least in a given state basis, since the operators can be expressed as matrices. And I suppose it might be possible in at least some cases to decompose operators into basis elements in a way that's independent of the state basis being used. But I've never actually run into the idea of basis operators having any particular importance.

I'm not familiar with the term, but it's not hard to find a basis for the algebra of operators, given a basis for the Hilbert space:

[tex]A|\psi\rangle=\sum_{i,j}|i\rangle\langle i|A|j\rangle\langle j|\psi\rangle=\bigg(\sum_{i,j}A_{ij}|i\rangle\langle j|\bigg)|\psi\rangle[/tex]

An orthogonal operator basis would just be a basis for various states, associated with whatever operator you're talking about, which is orthogonal. Remember that a basis for a vector space is a set of vectors and any arbitrary vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the basis set. If a basis is orthogonal, it means that the inner product of any two of the basis vectors equals zero. A lot of time we use an orthonormal basis. This means that in addition to being orthogonal (inner product = 0) the basis vectors each have a magnitude equalling one. In quantum mechanics each operator has a set of basis vectors associated with it. Often quantum states are written in the position basis or the momentum basis...but you can have a spin basis and other kinds of bases if you wish. If you'd like more information on vector spaces and bases and things like that the subject dealing with those topics is called Linear Algebra.

What is an orthogonal operator basis?

An orthogonal operator basis is a set of linear operators that are orthogonal to each other, meaning they have a dot product of zero. This is similar to how orthogonal vectors are perpendicular to each other in Euclidean space.

Why is an orthogonal operator basis important?

An orthogonal operator basis is important because it allows for the simplification of complex linear transformations and makes it easier to perform calculations. It also allows for the representation of any vector in a vector space using a linear combination of the basis vectors.

How is an orthogonal operator basis different from a regular basis?

An orthogonal operator basis is different from a regular basis in that the basis vectors are not only linearly independent, but also orthogonal to each other. This means that they are not just spanning a vector space, but they are also perpendicular to each other.

What are some examples of orthogonal operator bases?

Some examples of orthogonal operator bases include the standard basis in Euclidean space, the Fourier basis in signal processing, and the Pauli matrices in quantum mechanics.

How do you find an orthogonal operator basis for a given vector space?

To find an orthogonal operator basis for a given vector space, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves starting with a set of linearly independent vectors and then using orthogonalization to find a set of orthogonal vectors. These orthogonal vectors can then be normalized to create an orthogonal operator basis.