What is the Source of Strange Sewer-Like Fumes Causing Reactions?
- Thread starter moriah
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Expansion Metal Properties
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 6K views
Engineering news on Phys.org
moriah
- 54
- 11
No, this one would be a keeper. I tried to attack the video but this site only attaches photos.
moriah
- 54
- 11
Do you know if the multi-gas detectors that firemen use, can detect carbon disulfide?
moriah
- 54
- 11
moriah
- 54
- 11
Per our previous conversation, I am investigating these strange sewer like fumes to which I react. Is there a possibility that I am reacting to a combination of H2S and CH4?
Science Advisor
2025 Award
- 17,252
- 10,712
I would discount carbon disulfide, CS2, as the smell you report. Carbon disulfide does not smell bad. There are many other more common sulfur based contaminants that stench, and so will mask the sweeter smell of CS2.moriah said:I am investigating these strange sewer like fumes to which I react. Is there a possibility that I am reacting to a combination of H2S and CH4?
CS2 will not be produced by reactions in sewer gas. The synthesis of CS2 require an industrial process at much higher temperatures.
CS2 is a neurotoxin. In high concentrations it is known to cause psychosis in industrial workers. I am confident that CS2 is not at sufficient levels to cause you to imagine the problem.
The odor you are sensing is probably a thiol or thiol derivative. We are very sensitive to the smell of those compounds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiol#Odor