What is the spin quantum number of an atom in 4P state?

In summary, the term symbol for an atom in a 4P state, described by spin-orbit coupling, has the form 2S+1LJ, with J omitted in this case. The exponent of 2S+1 determines the value of S, which is 3/2 for a quadruplet. The notation of L=P is a legacy from earlier days of atomic physics, following the same nomenclature as orbitals.
shedrick94
If an atom described by spin-orbit coupling is in a 4P state, why is the spin quantum number s=3/2?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you mean 4P. How is a term symbol built up?

That's the terminology in the question yes. I don't quite understand what 4P means though? What do you mean by term symbol?

The description of the angular momentum of a state is called a term symbol. In Russell-Saunders (LS) coupling, it has the form 2S+1LJ. In your particular case, the value of J has been omitted.

So the angular momentum quantum number is l=1 as it's a P state? How is the value of s determined?

shedrick94 said:
So the angular momentum quantum number is l=1 as it's a P state? How is the value of s determined?
The exponent is 2S+1, so for a quadruplet, 2S+1 = 4 means S=3/2.

Sorry I've never seen this notation before so I wasn't aware of the relationship. So why do we have L=P then?

shedrick94 said:
Sorry I've never seen this notation before so I wasn't aware of the relationship. So why do we have L=P then?
It's a legacy from the earlier days of atomic physics. It follows the same nomenclature as orbitals: s, p, d, f, etc., but with uppercase letters (just as the total orbital angular momentum is L, instead of l for the orbital angular momentum of a single electron).

1. What does the spin quantum number represent in an atom?

The spin quantum number, denoted as "s", represents the intrinsic angular momentum of an electron within an atom. It determines the direction of the electron's spin and is an important factor in understanding an atom's electronic structure.

2. What is the range of possible values for the spin quantum number?

The spin quantum number can have only two possible values: +1/2 or -1/2. These values correspond to the two possible spin orientations of an electron, either "spin up" or "spin down".

3. How does the spin quantum number relate to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two electrons within an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers. This means that electrons in the same energy level must have different spin quantum numbers, ensuring that each electron has a unique set of quantum numbers.

4. Is the spin quantum number the same for all electrons in an atom?

No, the spin quantum number can vary for different electrons within the same atom. This is because electrons in different energy levels and orbitals have different sets of quantum numbers, including the spin quantum number.

5. How does the spin quantum number affect an atom's magnetic properties?

The spin quantum number determines the magnetic moment of an electron, which in turn contributes to an atom's overall magnetic properties. Atoms with unpaired electrons, each with a spin quantum number of +1/2 or -1/2, will have a net magnetic moment and exhibit magnetic behavior.